20080916

POLITICS - A wasted vote?

I've been discussing voting decisions with someone recently who said they were considering a vote for a third party in the US Presidential election. Obviously I've considered it previously, given my current options, but how on Earth is a vote for a third party in the US anything other than a wasted vote? As I said at the time, it may register as a protest vote, but the response from the pigs at the trough is of course "Your protest has been noted, now STFU and get back to work".

Glassbooth confirms what I already know, and that is out of the candidates available at this stage, I agree most strongly with Ralph Nader. But what the heck am I supposed to do when McSame wins by 1% over Obama, and I look at the votes which Nader got? You can argue stats all you want, but it is a fact that if those voting for Nader had to choose between Obama and McSame, that they would vote for Obama (Or any Democrat to make the generalisation), so a vote for Nader is one less vote for the Democrat. WTF are we supposed to do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Obama I believe might bring a bit of a change as I think he has a different world view. Don't know. A protest vote is only meaningful if lots of people do it, ie if it become 20% or so. A third party? I'm reading a book right now that after I finish I'll decide whether to share with you. It does explain a lot about the US ignorance.