20130829

Leaving MWO ... Why and how

Alright. This blog post now serves to replace my original Mechwarrior Online (Hereafter referred to as "the game") forum post which PGI (The developer of the game) or IGP (The publisher of the game) seem to have deleted. This post was linked in my forum signature, and PGI or IGP has since edited my signature, removing all content and leaving it blank. Here was my signature:


Game uninstalled - Refund in progress - #goodbyemwo Leaving because of 3PV? Read this.

...where "this" pointed to my forum entry with polite instructions on how to indicate our displeasure to PGI including refund request instructions and points of contant at IGP and PGI over email, web forms and social media.

So to those who ask. What is going on? Why have I left a game which I poured so much in to over the past year?

TL;DR version: - I don't like being lied to
Short version: The hardcore Mechwarrior Online community is in open revolt
Longer version: Loaded Dice - What happened to Mechwarrior Online?
Meme version: PGI telling IGP about Mechwarrior Online 3rd person outrage
Bonus round: A now slightly out-of-date, but still good sample of some of the quotes from PGI on this over time: Pic

The ignition: To summarise, I played the game because I wanted to play a 'Mech simulator which is what we were told it would be. A particular aspect was added to the game which runs counter to the simulator experience. We were promised this wouldn't happen. Then we were promised that if it was done, it would be done in a way which didn't force us to play against it. Then they went back on that and it was both implemented and we were forced to play against it.

Fuel to the fire: The non-apology apology

Crapping* on the fire: The 'middle finger'*, I mean the September Creative Developer Update. AKA "[We don't want your type around here]".

In closing: Unite and Drop

*Censored as if I wrote the actual words there I run a higher risk of my signature being removed again when I link this. They will probably do it again anyway.

3 comments:

Vijil said...

mm. Good rundown.

I'll be surprised if MWO still exists in a year. The CoD player market they claim to be after will be far better served by Hawken, Titanfall et al. MWO will not be able to compete with those games, so I guess you have to put this down to greedy execs who can't see the bigger picture here.

If the hardcore market wasn't big enough to start, they shouldn't have built the game in the first place.

Belorion said...

What a crock. Get over yourself. No one cares if you leave. Bye.

RePete said...

Actually Balorion, you cared enough to come here and post a comment, so there's that...