20050705

LIFE - We're F#$%'d

Well. Now I'm a bit of a greenie at heart. I don't go hugging trees and protest in front of Foodtown for selling non-organic food. I try to reduce, reuse, recycle when I can, use public transport, not take trips I don't need to, don't waste electricity or water, my next house will be an energy efficient house, etc, etc, etc...

So a mate sends me this link, which is a "survey" to indicate how much of an impact your lifestyle has on our environment. My footprint was 6.5. If everyone in the world lived like me, we'd need 3.6 Earths to produce the resources I consume. I'm a bit alarmed. I look over my answers and think "What am I supposed to do?".

Upon reflection, there are two things here. 1) Not everyone in the world lives the life that I do. Unfortunately a lot of people drive SUVs everywhere they go, eat packaged, processed food all the time, leave the TV running all day, buy the latest trendy clothes each season to stay in fashion, and go through tons of rubbish each week. But there are a lot of people who live in mud huts and eat berries. And 2) so according to this survey, what have I got to do to get down to 1.0 Earths? Well it looks like I have to be a soap dodging, tofu munching luddite hippy living on a commune who never goes anywhere. What a load of bollocks. It would be nice if the suggestions at the end were some real life, practical suggestions that people would follow rather than "Move to the commune man. Peace out". I can't stand personal agendas. *sigh*.

No comments: