20080820

LIFE - Baaaaaarrrrffffff!

K. I've had a lot of things happen since I blogged last. And I'll get around to blogging them at some stage. But here I am, watching an old episode of Sunday with a story about the movie Mama Mia, which my wife and sister watched during the latter's recent visit.

Let me summarise why I (And many males) find Abba annoying. Women's reaction to Abba consistently seems to be summarised on a level of fantasy and dreams. Listening to Abba's lyrics and watching women react when an Abba song is played. It's all fantasy, which leads to unhappiness. "Why isn't life like fantasy?" they ask. Because it's real life. Get the fuck over it. Perhaps if you spent some time making your fantasies reality instead of just leaving them as fantasy, you wouldn't be pining over what wasn't, but which you wish it was. God it's annoying! Excuse me while I go throw up...

3 comments:

Lou-Jane said...

bblllurrrrgggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (one big fat raspberry to you!)

Megz said...

It's not about fantasy. I'm not sure if I've given you that impression. I did once say it was about "letting go and being free". Maybe I should clarify.

Women's reaction to ABBA is all about the music. Plain and simple.

Guys don't dance, so you (and many males) may not understand this simple fact ... Dancing is FUN.

The reason girls freak out at clubs and storm the dance floor en-masse when ABBA comes on, is because the music is so good to dance to. It has an uplifting beat and ... well I don't know anything about music so I don't know the terminology. All I know is that it makes me want to dance.

As do others songs like "Oh What a Night", "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go", "It's Raining Men", the songs from Grease, anything by Stock Aitken and Waterman, and dozens of others that I just can't think of right now. I think SAW and ABBA may have used the same formula because all their music is so dancable.

Dancing is exercise.
Exercise releases endorphins.
Endorphins make you feel good.

Ergo - Dancing Makes You Feel Good.
Ergo - ABBA Makes You Feel Good.

Simple. No Fantasy Required.

RePete said...

It's not an impression you've given me. It's an impression I've formed through observation.

Your inference that guys don't dance is erroneous. Guys do dance. I quite enjoy dancing. I remember one of my best nights out was dancing until 0630 in the morning and walking home with blisters on my feet.

Yes, all the songs you've mentioned have that giddy, half-drunk females all squealing, shaking their hands with that 'oh yay!' thing, and dragging each other out on to the dance floor. So annoying. :-) The other thing they have in common is they are all very dated. :-)

And some coolness...Google 'abba' and 'annoying', and my blog post is the second hit. w00t!