20051211

LIFE - Yeah...I'm still here

Haven't blogged in a while. Two reasons really. I've been busy, but haven't really been busy with anything worth blogging. Life falls in to two camps at the moment. Work, and waiting for Nooboo with other little things to fill the time. Bit of telly. Bit of reading. Some movies. Visiting friends. Just "stuff" stuff really. Not really been playing paintball since the last AXL event. One, all my boys are down in Wellers, and two, well the last AXL event just kinda pissed me off. Hey. It's simple. When we had to win one game, we lost it. So no bitching. But still...

Still reading Judas Unchained. I've enjoyed it, though not as much as Pandora's Star. I think Peter F. Hamilton can waffle on a little some times, which has meant I haven't been as "in" to this book as the previous one.

Work is work. I feel we kinda lack direction at the moment. And by that I mean the whole company. But the team has changed a little over the past month. Some of the team have stepped up and are taking on more of the interesting work, which means I think they're enjoying themselves a little more.

Megz gets a little bigger every day. About a month to go now, and life will change forever. I'm looking forward to it. It's funny, but I've not even seen my son/daughter yet (Other than ultrasound of course), and still I love them very much. I'm looking forward to teaching them about life, and having a new friend in the world. I just hope I do a good job as a dad. I'm under no illusions as to this being an easy task.

I learned over the weekend that my mum and family are nearly committed to returning to NZ. It's funny. I was excited and yet I was overcome with a large feeling of guilt when we spoke. It isn't an easy task to uproot a family and move overseas. Especially when you're leaving behing family and friends. It was just mum and I when we came, so it was easier for us. But Richard and Mardie both have good friends and are doing well in school. I feel awful for asking them to leave that behind. But I do miss them very much.

So this weekend I've been busy'ish. I started installing SuSE Linux (v10.1) on an old PIII laptop of mine (Found a cheap battery on TradeMe to replace a faulty one, so it made using the machine worth while again). I've had a crack at Linux about once a year, every year for the past six years or so. And each time it's been too hard. Windows does what I want. The software is available and the system is familiar. I have no time for Linux zealots with their "Windows sucks because it's made by Microsoft and Microsoft is evil and Bill Gates is the antichrist". Get a flipping life. I think that Linux is to the point where I don't have to spend weeks studying it to make it useful. I can slowly start to use it. The interest is mainly in terms of having Linux work skills.

We watched Footrot Flats on DVD on Friday (Thank you sweetie). We also saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this weekend (Megz, Christopher and I). Chris and I enjoyed it. Megz thought it was so-so. I thought the first two were better. And I finally got round to start watching Farscape on DVD after years of wanting to see it. And we Skype'd with Lou for a while which was cool. Now that Skype (Version 2. Thanks for pointing that out Richard) does video, it's much easier to video conference with friends and family rather than dealing with the grief of routers and firewalls which effect Messenger and other IM/VoIP systems.

No comments: